No one wants to be stuck on a hot and humid summer night with an air conditioner that isn’t working correctly. One important way to prevent a breakdown is to catch issues as soon as possible. Here are a few common AC problems to keep an eye on.
The most common air-conditioning problems
Here are some of the most common AC problems and what they could indicate. Remember: King Heating, Cooling & Plumbing offers 24/7 emergency service here in Chicagoland!
- The house doesn’t feel cool: You hear the fan running and air is flowing, but it doesn’t feel cool. This problem can have many different causes, from dirty air filters to low coolant levels.
- The fan isn’t working: When you set the thermostat to “cool” or “fan,” nothing happens. A common cause of this issue is a tripped circuit breaker. If the unit has power, the fan may have a worn belt.
- The AC doesn’t turn on: If the AC doesn’t turn on at all, there may be a thermostat issue or a power problem. If the compressor doesn’t engage, the start capacitor may be the problem.
- The AC won’t stop running: Sometimes fan or condenser problems cause the air conditioner to run continuously. This behavior isn’t normal, even if it’s hot outside.
- There’s a weird smell or sound: Among the most noticeable problems are strange noises coming from the air conditioner, such as grinding, squealing, or popping sounds. Burning smells are also serious signs of trouble. Turn off your system and call the professionals at King.
What you can do to keep your AC in great condition
To prevent a breakdown, it’s essential to act quickly when you notice something odd. This means calling professionals ASAP. Our expert AC repair technicians can find the underlying cause immediately, preventing long-term damage to costly components such as the compressor.
In addition to emergency repairs, it’s a good idea to schedule preventative maintenance that focuses on cleaning and system analysis. Annual inspections can find issues before they become a problem. You can also contribute to a long-lasting air conditioner by replacing your air filter every 2–3 weeks and clearing away any dirt or debris.
At King, we’re always on call
You don’t have to take care of air conditioner maintenance and repairs alone. At King Heating, Cooling & Plumbing, we help you from the very beginning, offering recommendations for the perfect air-conditioner for your home. Whether you need a seasonal AC inspection, maintenance tips, or emergency repairs, reach out to our team right away.